Friday, November 11, 2005

The Innkeeper's Apprentice

I read in The Japan Times that a paperback copy of The Innkeeper's Apprentice by Lewis Libby is going for $2,500 on Amazon.com. And then I thought, hey, wait, I have that book! I own a copy of the first hardcover edition put out by the estimable Graywolf Press. Although I had to part with piles of books in our recent big move, I kept this book because I liked it so much. It's in great condition with no writing in it, unlike another hardcover copy on offer for something like $400. I'll sell it for a hundred bucks. :-)

In spite of the snarky readers' comments on Amazon, I thought it was lovely in a gothic sort of way and it remains one of my favorite Japan-related novels, Libby-written or not. Another plus: he incorporates references to my favorite Japanese folktale, "Yuki Onna" ("The Snow Woman").

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home