Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Final Exam

Today I administered my first ever final exam. I never told my college students that they were my first ever college students and that I was basically making it up as I went along, and they don't know that today's test was my first. Until now, my teaching in this country has been more of a diversion from the usual curriculm. Now that I can decide grades, I feel very empowered.

Aside from all that, I'm hoping that they learned a little bit. They obviously didn't study for the test. I told them two weeks ago that I was going to give them a dictation and I even told them what the dictation would be, but no one got it right.

After my classes, I went to pick up Jio. I could tell, as soon as I got out of the car, that the high school baseball team had lost its second game in the summer tournament. There were a bunch of parents standing around, very still and quiet. This school is a baseball powerhouse. They usually make it to the final rounds. It's a bit of a relief to have them out of the way.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Wow. This 'obviously they didn't study for the test' really seems to go against Japanese-student stereotypes. Are any of them going to flunk the course because of doing badly on the exam? Why do you think they didn't study? This is all very surprising!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Gaijin Mama said...

At first I was thinking it was because students here take school seriously up until they graduate from high school, and then they have four years to goof off. I mentioned here before that my husband was aghast when I said I would be assigning homework! So it's possible that no one took the test seriously. Another possibility is that they didn't understand what I said about the dictation. I can speak Japanese, but I conduct the entire class in English, sometimes writing what I say on the board for reinforcement. It's hard to tell. They rarely ask questions.

1:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home