Thursday, September 28, 2006

Plus

I've started sitting in on Lilia's math class once a week so I will know how she is learning and have a better idea of how to help her. Actually, all of the mothers are encouraged to do this. I may start sitting in on Japanese, as well, although my presence tends to be a distraction for Lilia. Anyway, here's what I learned in the last math class: in Japan, there is a right and a wrong way to write the plus sign. First, you write the horizontal line, then the vertical line. Now that's one thing I never would have known if I hadn't been sitting in.

In other news, today is my birthday. That means there will be no cooking - at least not by me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Happy Birthday to you!
And, thanks for the tip on the "plus" sign -- imagine -- I have probably been doing it wrong my entire life :). Reminds me of the Japanese teacher who, during one of our co-teaching experiences, informed me that I wasn't singing the "correct ABC" song. Now that made for an interesting lesson -- me trying to sight read and sing "the other" ABC song.
Again -- enjoy your birthday!

8:34 PM  
Blogger illahee said...

happy birthday!!

i write the number "5" incorrectly...

11:02 PM  
Blogger Lotus Reads said...

Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! :)))

3:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!! - Lori

10:19 AM  
Blogger jean said...

A bit late, but happy birthday!

There is a right and wrong way to write EVERYTHING in Japanese! My son's homeroom teacher is so anal about the way to write things - it drives me mental. (But, on the flip side, it does seem that Japanese people's handwriting and printing - in English! - is much more attractive than ours!)

4:35 AM  
Blogger Leightongirl said...

Happy belated birthday! You must be very busy with your own teaching, and the kids and writing too, but I do hope you got a nice breather.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home