Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Visit

Last night Jio's teacher dropped by with a big bag of bread. It seems that she was aware of the problem Jio was having with that other kid and she wanted to talk about it. I know that teachers, my husband included, often visit students' homes, but it's still a bit disconcerting to have people drop by when the house is a mess. I guess Japanese women are obsessive about housework for just this reason. Anyway, I let her speak with Jio privately for awhile. I wasn't eavesdropping or anything, but I overheard her say "At school, I'm your mother." Uh, no. I don't think so. I'm the Mommy ALL THE TIME.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leightongirl said...

You betcha! I'd be very disconcerted if my daughter's teacher said this. But maybe she was trying to be supportive?

8:12 AM  
Blogger Gaijin Mama said...

Yeah, she was trying to let Jio know she was there for him, but it was an odd choice of words. My first worry was that Jio would be panicked about having his mother replaced, but I guess he didn't take it literally.

3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home