Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Wanderlust

So the other day I opened the paper and happened upon an article about Iriomote Island in Okinawa. I showed my family the page and said, "I want to go there!"

My husband, who has been to Okinawa three or four times already, mostly on school trips (I've never been) said, "It's too far."

"But look at this beautiful beach," I said. "And the ox-drawn carriage! And this island is home to the rare wild Iriomote cat!"

"Then you go by yourself," said my very conservative son, who hates it when I go to Osaka overnight, and abhors the idea of travel.

"Okay, I will!" I showed the pictures to Lilia and asked if she'd like to go. She nodded and signed "Ikitai! Ikitai!"

Lilia would also like to visit Germany, after having seen a teacher's honeymoon photos, and, of course, Tokyo Disneyland. I'm glad there is at least one person in this family who shares my wanderlust.

Lilia, honey, let's go to Paris when you're twelve!

1 Comments:

Blogger jean said...

We may share the same family. (Hopefully your version came with improved 'pick up after themselves' skills.) I'm getting quite excited about doing things together with my daughter (she's only two but seems to have a 'get up and go' glint in her eye that the other two homebodies lack).

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home