Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Top Ten Short Stories

In response to Susan's post, here is my off-the-top-of-my-head list of my top ten favorite short stories:

"Gypsies in the Place of Pain" by Hollis Seamon
"People Like That Are the Only People Here" by Lorrie Moore
"The Age of Lead" by Margaret Atwood
"The Lives of the Saints" by Catherine Brady
"Come to Africa and Save Your Marriage" by Maria Thomas
"Story With Spiders" by Julio Cortazar
"Spaceships Have Landed" by Alice Munro
"How to Talk to a Hunter" by Pam Houston
"The Trail of Your Blood in the Snow" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
"Bestiary" by Julio Cortazar

What are your favorite short stories?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger jean said...

I'm very impressed that you could come up with such a list off the top of your head. I love short stories but rarely remember the details, let alone the title. (But then again you're a writer and I'm not...) I often read Alice Munro stories over and over again -- I love her warmth.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Gaijin Mama said...

Yes, Alice Munro is great!

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! I was surprised (and honored) to find my story "Gypsies in the Place of Pain" listed as your top story.

Hollis Seamon
seamonh@strose.edu

9:54 AM  
Blogger Gaijin Mama said...

I love that story. I used to read it when my daughter was in the hospital. It comforted me.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home