Thursday, May 17, 2007

State of the Art



So Yoshi went out and bought some mouse traps and this is what they look like. Simple, huh? It looks like something a pre-schooler could come up with. The inside is sticky, so I guess the idea is that the mosue ventures inside and then can't get out.

Yoshi placed a couple in strategic positions, mused about putting some cheese in as bait, and then didn't. The next morning, the traps were empty. But after school, I was getting started on dinner and I heard a squeaking noise. It was mixed in with the feedback from Lilia's hearing aid (a loud, screeching noise produced whenever it isn't nestled snugly in her ear or when she leans on it). I paused in my vegetable-chopping, and sure enough, the sound seemed to be coming from the cardboard tunnel. It sounded like a creature in distress! Being a wimp, I didn't want to peer too closely, so I sent Jio (who is actually even wimpier) to have a look. "There's a mouse!" he confirmed, and ran away. I grabbed a broom and swatted the trap out the door, praying that I wouldn't somehow dislodge the thing and set it free. I felt kind of bad though, as it was squeaking all the while.

Then I called Yoshi and told him that we'd caught a mouse. When he came home, I asked him what he was going to do with it.

"On the box, it said to throw it in the garbage," he said.

He told me that he'd seen the traditional mouse traps with the spring action at the store, but thought this kind was better.

Hmmm. Long slow death, or immediate execution? Which is more humane? I have to admit, however, that I don't want to personally deal with either kind of trap. I'm glad the mouse is gone.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Choco Pie said...

Shudder.

8:51 PM  
Blogger illahee said...

i'm glad the mouse is gone, too. i agree, neither trap would be pleasant to get rid of, but the sticky floor one seems kinda cruel. not that i have a problem with roach motels.

i once chased a mouse out of my genkan with a broom. every time i hit the mouse it squeaked. oh man, i felt like such an evil woman...

10:13 PM  
Blogger jean said...

The sound of cockroaches trying to escape from those traps makes me shudder; there's no way I could deal with one that caught anything with four legs. Yuck!! Hope this little guy didn't have any brothers or sisters... (Do you know 'The Family of Fourteen' Japanese picture books about mice? :) )

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We use snap traps (to catch whatever the cats and dog don't!) in preference to sticky traps or poison.

9:45 PM  
Blogger jennifergg said...

Ahhh, which is better indeed...and don't forget the poison, which has it's own sets of complications.

Glad the mouse is GONE.

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home