Tuesday, June 26, 2007

O-Hisashiburi!

For some reason, I haven't been able to post for a couple of weeks. It's been very frustrating, as I've been bursting with anecdotes! For instance, a week or so ago, Lilia read a book to me for the first time, which was very exciting. She's also started picking out Chinese characters that she knows on billboards and such. I'm starting to believe that she may turn into a reader after all.

In other news, I got my contributor's copies of Eye-Ai magazine today, with my story featured on the cover! I interviewed Angela Aki, a singer-songwriter who's been topping the Japanese charts lately, and who was born in the next burg over. Her mom is American, and her dad is Japanese. She attended the same elementary school as my son. I think I mentioned this before.

Anyway, I interviewed her via telephone in the midst of her tour. I let my son answer the phone so he could say that he talked to Angela Aki, and then I took over. She was super nice. Our conversation was interrupted twice - once when my mother-in-law yelled up at the stairs at me, and another time when I had to help Lilia go to the bathroom. She was very understanding about the whole thing.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

That's a great story of a successful interview, despite interruptions! The cry that "I need to "go potty" does trump most everything :).

9:33 PM  
Blogger jennifergg said...

Congratulations!

(Nice to have you back, too!)

1:18 PM  
Blogger jean said...

Hope your computer woes are behind you!

5:52 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Tag, Suzanne! There's a meme going on--I hope your computer woes are over.

Jennifer

P.S. I loved your review!

8:57 AM  
Blogger dmac said...

I just read your story over at "Short Fiction from a Small Planet" and I found my way over here. I love the story and really enjoy your writing. I'm currently an American living in Japan and I am impressed with how you articulate the "gaijin" experience so well. It can be so complex and frustrating for me that it's hard for me to accurately communicate. Kudos.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Gaijin Mama said...

Thank you so much, Darrell. For the record, I've been having problems posting on this blog, so I've moved the whole thing over to http://gaijinmama.wordpress.com. Please visit me there!!

2:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow you have interviewd angela aki? wow i would like to know more so if you can, would you please send how and where did you interview her in my mail at neito_kun@yahoo.co.jp XD

12:20 AM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

Congratulations on the interview!

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many blogs seemed to have dropped off the face of the earth this summer. Just because we didn't have the b@lls to comment didn't mean we didn't look forward to a new post. What's going on? What's the deal? Continuing to check back every evening after work and hope for a new post. -- Mahlax.

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still blogging. Due to technical difficulties, I had to move. Please go to http://gaijinmama.wordpress.com

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home